The AZTEK system is used in rigging programs around the world. These, configured as "set-of-fours" (double blocks) will enable the rescue practitioner greater versatility in a personal mechanical advantage (PMA) for rescue and general rigging.
The Aztek ProSeries System by CMC Rescue:
Featuring several innovative new additions, the AZTEK PROSERIES SYSTEM was designed with input from Reed Thorne of Ropes That Rescue. The system stores in the AZTEK PROSERIES PACK and can be worn either as a fanny pack, or attached around the thigh so as not to clutter up the rigger's waist.
The CMC Rescue Omni Blocks are UL listed to NFPA 1983 "G" for hardware and meet the minimum strength requirements of 36kN. The overall system MBS checks in at 40kN and is UL listed and certified NFPA "G".
Other component features include the 8mm high grade nylon cordage, with a pre-fit abrasion guard. 6mm bound rachet prusiks allow for progress capture in either system orientation via the becket pin. As is the norm for these kits, the AZTEK PROSERIES SYSTEM can be used as an edge restraint, coming complete with a 6mm long purcell, rigged with a maillon rapide for attachment to the user's harness.
The Aztek Elite Kit by Sterling Rope:
The Rock Exotica brand swivel Omni pulleys (blocks) are hewn from a solid block of high strength aluminum and are engineered with great pride to withstand over 8,000 lbs (36kN) of tensile force end to end.
Sterling Rope Company has also designed sewn products for these pulleys including the 8mm restraint cord, rated at 4,270 lbs (19kN) and both ratchets in two colors, and shock absorber/restraint cords. The set of two blocks are different colors for ease of identification.
Turn the set-of-fours one way and you have a 5:1 mechanical advantage. Turn it around and a 4:1 w/change of direction is the result, making this PMA extremely versatile. Also, the progress capture ratchet prusik can be attached at either end (orange to orange, or blue to blue). The progress capture prusiks are laced onto the restraint cord and then formed into a directional prusik hitch (3 on 2), which prevents the inadvertent loss of the prusik once assembled. One quick pin is sold with each set of blocks. Additional pins may be purchased if needed or if one wished to hold a spare in the opposite block.
"Just finished a Rope Rescue Tech 1 and found this the
most exciting tool in the last 19 years on our mountain rescue team." MB in El Paso, Texas
Remember, simplicity and efficiency is the name of the game. Always, when possible, use gear that provides multiple uses. The AZTEK's double end exemplifies that theme. Out of one zipper of the side pouch, the rescuer is provided immediate edge protection and from a second zipper of the same pouch, the rescuer/rigger can deploy this mini MA (SOFs) in a multiude of rigging applications, including hauling systems, tensioned back-ties, tensioned guying for artifical high directionals, dynamic brake racks, and dynamic directionals.
AZTEK Elite Set of Fours Assembly Instructions (English Language) [PDF - 6.6 MB]
Technical Data, Diagrams & Info for the AZTEK Pulley P41 (English Language) [PDF - 1.2 MB]
General Technical Information (Note: official results may vary)
- Slippage on ratchet prusik at approx 17-18kN
- Slipped again @ 20kN and did not slip anymore
- System failed at 40.42kN
- 4" slippage of prusik
- The pulley failed at the "becket" where the 8mm sewn eye attaches and also broke the pin. Ratchet was fused to 8mm Edge Restraint cord. The MBS on the 6mm ratchet is 12.9kN so we were getting close to the ratchet limit. It was great to see the system go to 40kN.
- 1 ea. Omni AZTEK Elite blue pulley
- 1 ea. Omni AZTEK Elite orange pulley
- 1 Quick Release Pin (Additional pins available for purchase here.)
- 1 Aztek Rope Cover
- 1 8mm AZTEK cord with sewn eye (50 ft / 15M length)
- 2 AZTEK ratchet purcells (9 inch each)
- 1 AZTEK travel restrict purcell (42 inch)
- 1 RRG AZTEK Bum Bag
- 1 Maillon Rapide Oval Steel Quick Link 7mm
- 1 ProSeries Manual Lock Carabiner with Keeper (CMC Rescue AZTEK PROSERIES SYSTEM only)
- 3 Sterling Rope Safe-D carabiners with captive eye (Sterling Rope AZTEK ELITE kit only)
The AZTEK with it's intrinsic "Set of Fours", literally has 101 uses... here are just a few:
- TRAVEL RESTRICT
- ADJUSTABLE DIRECTIONALS
- SOLO PICK-OFF
- PRE-TENSIONED BACK-TIE
- GUYING OF HIGH DIRECTIONALS
- HIGH ANGLE ATTENDANT TETHER
- HIGH ANGLE LITTER SCOOPS
- LOAD -RELEASING HITCH
Back to Top